Test what you know about climate change
For Going Green
This is an invitation to test what you really know about climate change. You can find out by first taking a short, on-line test with five questions. After you get those test results, I invite you to respond to four simple questions in this column below.
The on-line test was created by Bill Gates, one of the founders of Microsoft. Bill Gates knows a lot about climate change.
Gates has joined an international coalition to figure out how to protect people from heat waves, floods, and storms as the temperatures rise and the climate shifts. The Global Center on Adaptation will advance “bold actions to help societies across the world become more resilient to climate-related threats” and hopefully help the human race survive extreme weather.
For this effort, Gates has teamed up with former U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, World Bank CEO Kristalina Georgieva, and 17 countries, including China, India, South Africa, Indonesia, Canada, and the U.K. (The U.S., under President Trump is absent from this coalition).
Think you know more than Bill Gates about global warming? If so, Gates is challenging you to test your knowledge and try to beat his score. Take this quiz – How much do you really know about what causes climate change? and find out if you can match him.
It has only 5 questions. bit.ly/2Dy1wVx
Here’s one fact that may surprise you: the generation of electricity – power plants – causes only 25 percent of the CO2 emissions. Where do you think the other 75 percent comes from?
The Oct. 8 Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) released a daunting report suggesting that we are currently on track for around an increase of 37 degrees (!) Fahrenheit of warming caused by greenhouse gas emissions. The IPCC authors promise that we will see coastal cities swallowed by the sea, global food shortages, and $54 trillion in climate-associated costs as soon as 2040.
The measure of everything these days is in dollars. The Pentagon, the insurance industry, coastal cities and other entities that look after dollars first are all spending millions to prepare for the impacts of now undeniable evidence of global warming. They must have conducted an extremely sophisticated cost benefit analysis before deciding to spend millions of dollars to escape or combat the impacts of climate change.
Now it’s your turn to make the same analysis, but in a highly simplified set of the four questions below.
The first two questions should be answered within the context of president’s belief is that IPCC global warming projections are not true. In other words, false. That being the case …
1) What would the consequences be if no national action was taken to mitigate climate change? and;
2) What would the consequences be if a full national scale was undertaken to mitigate climate change?
The second two questions should be answered within the context that the IPCC projections are true, that civilization will be severely damaged or worse if we don’t take action. In this case,
3) What would the consequences be if no national effort was made to mitigate global warming? and finally,
4) What would the consequences be if a full national scale effort was undertaken to mitigate climate change?
You can use the risk assessment chart on the next page, if that would help. Or I can send you a full page version of this chart to use with family and friends if you think this quiz is important. Send an email with “Chart” in the subject line to email@example.com and I’ll send you one that you can print out immediately.
This chart was conceived by Greg Craven 11 years ago and recently updated on YouTube. It’s called “The Most Terrifying Video You’ll Ever See” and it has been viewed by over 13 million viewers. You can’t afford to ignore this wonky 9 minutes of your time with respect to the future of our planet earth. Go to bit.ly/2sXZVSp.
When the continually worsening IPCC reports have been issued in the past, the climate change denial community has sprung into action with two primary points of refutation: that the IPCC findings are not true and even if there is some truth to what a majority of the world’s scientists have agreed upon, trying to stop the planet from frying would severely damage the economy. Our president has called climate change an “expensive hoax.” There’s that money measurement thing again. What about the projected negative $54 trillion in global warming impacts we are heading toward by 2040 by taking no action?
Oh yes, and what about the human costs?
John Bos lives in Shelburne Falls and writes frequently about climate change. Request a full size Global Warming Action Chart by writing “Chart” in the subject line of an email to firstname.lastname@example.org where you can also comment on this column.